Thursday, January 6, 2011

it's cold. i'm not kidding.

it's officially freezing here in shanghai. i have been hoping this cold weather is just a nightmare i can't wake up from, but i swear every morning my commute gets colder and colder... not to mention my classrooms get colder and colder too! specifically my 3 year old classroom.


for some reason, here in china, keeping the windows open in the dead of winter has some wacky way of keeping all the sickness and germs out of the classroom! say whaaat? yeah, therefore i am working in a room of 17 screaming 3 year olds all while freezing my ass off, wrapped in so many layers I can't lift my arms over my head and tripping over the children because my feet are numb! i can't escape the frigid air either. when i exit the classroom, i can see my breath in the halls. when i take them downstairs to the playroom, the windows are open in there too and the heat isnt on. when i go upstairs to the ball pit the heat isn't on in there either (big surprise)!
now, in my classroom, it's cold. reeeeaallly cold. but not that cold compared to the rest of the school.
thankfully, my 6 year room is pretty nice, window only opened a small crack (still i am wearing a long sleeve T, a wool sweater, my North face  fleece, a scarf, a pair of tights under jeans, socks and boots ... i add the wool coat in the other classroom and gloves).
it's also a sweet heat haven in the lunch room. it's yin and yang because the food is awful, but at least i am warm.

this would never pass in american schools, i think this everyday, and can't wait until i can teach in america in a heated classroom and not even imagine a window being open in 30degree weather.

i love you china, but i will not miss your weather when i am in thailand in, oh ... 16 days.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com