Wednesday, December 8, 2010

my birthday and un"scrooging" myself.

24th birthday
i know i am just now posting my birthday a week later, but i wanted to get pictures first! i received a package from one of my friends at home, Margo, that day! perfect timing. yaaayy! a bunch of my friends met up that night at this pub called The Camel right around the corner from my school. of course, jacqueline and i got there about an hour and half before everyone else to get the "fireplace seats" (without the fireplace even on... oh well)
birthday cake :)

the group!

classic jami and nat :)


me and the roomster :)
once everyone showed up, we ordered more drinks and about 85% of my friends ordered cheeseburgers. so awesome. after that, about 6 of us headed to Tara 57 Cocktail Lounge. Alice and i had a great time just talking about life! We all also had to restrain ourselves from putting our tongues into the chocolate fountain. Why put a chocolate fountain in a bar if there is nothing to dip into it? thats just wrong! there were some random almonds on the table though... attempt failed i will tell you that much.
from there we said hello to The Apartment, Zappatas (obvi) and a little swing into the Blarney Stone. I finished my birthday walking home singing Taylor Swift down Yongjia Lu. pure success.


christmas festivities
this weekend, a few of my friends and I decided it was time to get into the holiday spirit. I will admit, I have been doing my absolute best to try and fast forward through Christmas, completely forget about it and try to go on as if it wasn't coming up with lightning speed. I guess being away from home this year has turned me into the biggest Scrooge. I wasnt even listening to Christmas music, mainly for the fact that I would have a small breakdown when it began to play! 
anyways, we hailed a cab and rolled on into Pudong. There was a Christmas fair going on somewhere around there. [Crazy story though: it was across the street from the complex I stayed at the last time I came to China with the Delaney's, at Green Court! It was crazy deja vu and the area has become so developed I barely recognized it! It was so cool seeing the places i walked when I was here last time. Some pretty great memories... i remembered a lot of laughs i had had with someone. (eat. pray. love reference -- "so miss him. send him light and love when you do, and then drop it" -- which i totally did)]

lamest christmas fair ever.

best sign ever.
please, don't dabble.


green court - where i was the first time i came to china!




Turns out this Christmas fair was nothing more than some random beauty booths, a freaky children's fashion show and one Christmas vendor selling some awkward NFL Christmas wreaths... specifically the Denver Broncos and the Minneapolis VIkings... hmmmm. We decided to head back towards out neck of the woods (woop woop for the Puxi side of Shanghai being the best!!!) Jacqueline and I had seen something being set up in front of the Paulaner  by our school (a German restaurant kinda like the Rathskellar in Indy for all my IN friends). This festival was beautiful! SO many lights, foods, Christmas vendors and music! There was even a big tree! It was amazing. We also went inside and had a drink. The Paulaner was decorated all in Christmas. I felt at home. It was lovely. My dark German beer was just as lovely :) After the drinks, we got a German sausage outside and enjoyed the lights and WONDERFUL weather!
better signage already.


so pretty!


christmas tree!!!


inside the Paulaner. sooo gorgeous.


asian santa? haha

After the festival we walked all around Huaihai Lu (one of the biggest roads, maybe even the biggest) in Shanghai and had some deep talks. I LOVED IT! i love my friends here. 

So, now, I am in the Christmas spirit. I have been listening to Christmas music everyday. A classic little "All I Want for Christmas is You!" - Mariah Carey,  a new found favorite "Did I Make You Cry On Christmas Day? (Well, You Deserved It.)" - Sufjan Stevens (with a shout out to Anne Charlton if you read this) and WHO can forget "Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays" - NSYNC!!!!

it's a wonderful feeling, feel the love in the room from the floor to the ceiling :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com